Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Random Aphorisms, or Psalms

Psalm 23 is a Psalm of David, and it describes his life and his relationship with God perfectly. The main thing which does that is when it says: 'I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.' This might be talking about the covenants that God has, mainly about the one he has with David, because no matter what happened, God always had his back, always defended his and saved him from other petty humans who weren't as good. 'The LORD is my shepherd;' 'though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me'. These two passages show how devoted David is, was, to God. It shows the safety that all the covenant men feel, from the jealousy of other men and their anger which I have previously mentioned.

Psalm 42 is all different metaphors, like brooks and tears and swords, which ask the same question: 'Where is thy God?' I found this Psalm written in a very different manner than the rest of the Bible, it seems more metaphorical, poetic, romantic but at the same time, desperate. We don't know who is talking, who is searching for his lost soul in God, so that makes it even deeper, I think.

Psalm 51 is rather confusing. In the beginning it says: 'To the chief Musician' from David. We can assume it is David who wrote it, but we can't assume who he is speaking to. He seems to be ordering the musician to clean him-if you take it literally- but he is at the same time asking God to 'Create in [him] a clean heart, O God'. David seems to be recognizing his sins before he was overthrown by his own son, and he is asking for forgiveness from them. I think this shows David has grown a lot, after all, apologizing and asking for forgiveness is never easy- I should imagine doing that to God must be even harder.

Psalm 137 talks about someone asking for forgiveness. I assume it is the children of Edom: 'Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom'. I think they are being rather selfish, saying that they shall be remembered and that they shall always be happy. This is another very conditional form of faith, I do something for you and you give me something back. I think so many cases of this might reflect on the leader, no offense.

I don't know if these Psalms are the most important, or relevant, or if they are in fact random, but I did notice something that they all have in common. They all talk about God in a way that seems unreachable, they all proclaim God as a superior but yet someone who takes care of them. This is the God I'm actually used to, and because of this and the much simpler language that is used, I like this part of the Bible better than the rest. I can easily relate to it- metaphorically speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment