Saturday, February 13, 2010

Gilgamesh- Tablet VI

In this Tablet I noticed a change in the author's writing style, I don't know if it is because it is, or atleast seems, shorter or if it is because he actually changed. The repetition on phrases thing he had going on there isn't that present in the Tablet, and it had a quicker and more interesting way of narrating what happened.
It talked about Gilgamesh being a coward, again, and letting Enkidu fight the Bull of Heaven alone at first. I think it was kind of stupid how mad the goddess Ishtar got with Gilgamesh just because he didn't want to sleep with her, which I think was a perfectly logical decision given that he knows the tragic stories of Ishtar's past lovers.
I learned one thing that I didn't know before that is that the setting of the Epic is in Africa, near 'the Euphrates [River]'.

3 comments:

  1. I think the response was very concrete but still covered most of the things that happened in tablet 6. I agree with her opinion on Enkidu and Gilgamesh, Enkidu seems to be the one that does all the hard work sometimes. I also agree with how in this tablet the narrator kind of chanced pace. Maybe the blogger could've gone more in depth about some of the things she only mentioned, like Ishtar and her revenge on Gilgamesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this idea that the author does change how he tells the story because he changes the plot’s focus. I also agree in that the author stops using as many repetions. Finally, I found that it was something very important to highlight the fact that we now have a setting near the Euphrates river, in the fertile crescent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Gilgamesh had all the right in the world to say no to the goddess. She definitely had no reason to get angry with him. I disagree however in the sense of calling Gilgamesh a coward. He wasn’t exactly a coward. He was just observing hot Enkidu was killing the bull. That way, after he observed, he joined the fight. After all, there are some things that you have to learn first to actually go ahead and do them.

    ReplyDelete