Monday, April 19, 2010

Moses, Behind the Scenes

The beginning of the Second Book of Moses, Exodus, is also the beginning of the story of Moses.

One of the first things I noticed was that it said '[I am the] Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob'. This brings forth a very important piece of information for my conspiracy of why the covenants and the same stories and basically everything got passed down exactly the same with each passing generation. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were all the fathers of Catholicism and Jewish religion. They were the base from which everyone else started off, especially in Israel. We can very clearly see the covenants that God has with Israel, as he always calls them 'the children of Israel' and makes a plan to save them from the fate the Egyptians were enforcing on them.

Another thing I noticed is how perfectly common and how morally right they make slavery and adultery seem, even though these are now one of the most punished sins and crimes. In most all of the stories in the KJB they mention their servants, but curiously enough, they never say when it started or if it is wrong or right.


 

Going back to the story, I find no purpose to what the Lord God did, sending such small plagues like flies, frogs, snakes, even locusts instead of taking this salvation seriously and doing something to really convince the Pharaoh to let His people go. Nor do I see any explanation for it other than he was showing off. He was playing the almighty roll, wanting everyone to bow over to His powers, as we see how always speaking to Moses He says: 'ye may know how that I am the Lord.' Or: 'I AM THAT I AM'- indicating his 'superiority'. And at least God knows that every time the Pharaoh says he will back off he is lying, I find kind of pathetic that after almost five times that the same thing has happened, Moses and his brother, Aaron, still trust the Pharaoh.

The paragraph of Exodus 14:10 through 14:12 spoke more to me than mostly anything I've read. I don't know why, but I get a sort of desperation coming through the voices of the people, the same kind of desperation and fear that I find in narratives about the Holocaust, when crowd panic sets in and makes a lot of people who could be able to defend themselves kneel down and face their futures without even trying to fight back. I hate it, how in so many cases such amounts of people were made felt so entirely not human that they didn't even care if they lived or not.

We again see a kind of evil coming from God, not evil, but a wish for people to suffer, even if it they deserve it. That goes totally against the imange I had of God, the one I had gotten from the church. 15:3 'The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.'

Finally, I had never really thought about it, it is simply a popular assumption: Moses is a hero for his people. But nobody ever mentioned Aaron, even though he didn't do much, he was still there. And let's face it, God was the one who did everything, he told Moses what to say, gave him powers, and all Moses did was follow His very precise instructions. Still, 'the man Moses was very great in the land of Egypt, in the sight of Pharaoh's servants, and in the sight of the people'.

No comments:

Post a Comment